Tuesday, March 24, 2020

The Lord of the Rings: Adventure Card Game

This isn't bad, actually. It's a card game sort of in the vein of Magic: The Gathering or Hearthstone, with a few added systems that make it pretty interesting. I think my favorite is the third stat that each hero or character has, which I believe is their willpower, which can be used to accomplish a quest in the same manner as you would attack a monster or the like. It adds another angle about which to think about how good your cards are.

Another kind of interesting thing is how when you send a unit over to attack another, they only do damage, and don't take any in return, unlike the other games I mentioned. When they are chosen to defend with, though, they both draw any attacks toward them, and deal damage in return. You lose the game if any of your hero cards die, so what you want to be doing often is summoning other allies and having them defend your heroes. Many such allies have low attack values but high life totals, so they can soak up a few rounds of attacks.

I had a decent time checking this game out, but ultimately I don't think it's worth sticking with because it's no longer living, as it were. It's a static set of cards and single player content to go through. I did try to see if there was anyone playing multiplayer. There wasn't.

No comments: