Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Light Gaming

It's been a while since I wrote about video games. I have been playing a few things in the intervening time, though. Some quick thoughts:

Cube World - Yes, it finally released after many years of limbo and/or development hell. It's charming, but not all that interesting, after all.

Slay the Spire - This is a very cool deck-building card game crossed with a roguelike dungeon crawler. The only thing I don't love about it (aside from the art) is that your run of an hour or two can come down to sheer mathematics and you can lose for the mere want of a point of mana or damage. If only there was some kind of user tilt ability to call on in such times.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate - It's that year's model of Assassin's Creed games. This will sound like I am giving it short shrift, but I do actually enjoy these games and I am having a lot of fun with Syndicate, too. I do plan to buckle down and complete it, if perhaps not to go and find every single little collectible.

The Outer Worlds - It's like Obsidian wanted to keep making Fallout after New Vegas, but to reign in the scope some and improve some of technical aspects. I was having a pretty good time with the first few hours. I'm not certain I'll go back for more, but I may.

Wargroove - A solid strategy game but with an overly wordy and kitcshy pseudo anime storyline. These are so unwelcome that I'd honestly rather play a different solid strategy game.

I've been less concerned with video games in the last year or two, having discovered the Warhammer hobby. I would expect this to continue.

Last year I did make somewhat of an effort to find a GOTY candidate, but I really don't think I can be bothered for 2019. I might make a cursory nomination, but I've played so few new games it would be more of a de facto GOTY than a recommendation.

No comments: