Friday, November 4, 2011

Fighting My Way Back

I am in the middle of so many games right now, it's obscene. I don't even know where to begin to go about clearing my plate, forget the backlog! The ones bubbling up to the top of consciousness lately though, are Nehrim, which I've put a bit of time into lately, Fallout 2, which I desperately want to get back to and finish, Blade Runner, which I just want to experience, and Batman: Arkham Asylum, which I feel the most guilty about not having played through yet.

And now, lyrics from a Thin Lizzy song, the inspiration for this post's title:

I'm dustin' out/and I'm going in/
and I'm kickin' up/'bout the state I'm in/
'cause I'm tough, rough, ready, and I'm able/
to pick myself up from underneath this table

Fighting my way back
Fighting my way back

Realistically, this is not the time to be fighting the good fight. I've got my health to take care of (I need way more exercise), a kid to help out with, stuff around the house, a novel I'm trying to write (little by little), and on top of that this is the season that all the huge games come out. I'm playing Battlefield 3 every night now, even if it's just an hour or so, and I'm planning on playing Assassin's Creed Revelations the first day I can get my hands on it. That's not to mention the myriad of other games I have sitting around unplayed for one reason or another. I had to force myself to stop playing Dark Souls before I got so far down that hole my entire month would disappear. I'm pumped to get back to it at some point, though.

I guess I should give an update on Dark Souls, seeing as my last post several weeks ago was when I was just about to start it. I did start it, and I started it well as a knight. I think I am soul level 19 or so right now, and I have progressed far enough to have rung the bell on top of the undead church, and then onto find my way to the Capra Demon, which is the next fool to be felled when I get back to the game. I didn't know where to go immediately after ringing the first bell, so I tried both the graveyard catacombs and the underground grotto accessible via elevator under the Firelink shrine. I've been playing as a knight, as I said, with heavy armor, and using both sword and spear, and even an axe, briefly. I've upgraded my broadsword a couple of times, and I think I'll stick with it for a while. What a great game. I hope it doesn't take me two years again to circle back around to this one, as it did with Demon's Souls.

I feel like playing something tonight, but what? Some Battlefield, to be sure, but what else? Maybe I'll try to make some more progress in Blade Runner. I've never really played a point and click adventure game before, and I like Blade Runner, the film.

2 comments:

Greg said...

Nice hairdo! I shave my own head every 3-4 weeks. Actually, I just let that shit grow (including beard) until I can't take it anymore and then I clear cut.

As I mentioned on the COP site, I kinda went nuts and took advantage of that B2G1 deal on Amazon. Picked up BF3 and Batman AC on xbox and U3. Spent about an hour on the U3 co-op mission with a friend last night and had a lot of fun. I also did two free for all deathmatches. Would have been better if I had a mic, maybe it is time to invest.

Anyway, judge the U3 multiplayer for yourself before believing all of the haters. It really isn't that bad and actually the way you move through the environments in Uncharted makes the experience unique.

Count Elmdor said...

Thanks!

I actually played the beta some. It's not bad, just not something I'd be likely to return to a lot. I think Esteban was saying the same thing when we recorded last night, actually.

I still don't really know what I'm going to really drill into next. I messed around with some Just Cause 2, Day of Defeat, and BF3 today, in between trying to write some and other stuff. Maybe I'll cap the night off with some Blade Runner.