Sunday, December 4, 2022

Talons of the Emperor vs Deathskullz 12/02/22

This game is really only notable in that it is the first time I have taken my Talons of the Emperor force out to play against another live player. I had a casual list put together for a game at 50PL, which is the standard for play at my local Warhammer store. I had pre-arranged a game with Hassan, a guy I know from the store and who I have played before, only with my White Scars force. 


Come to find out, the Warhammer store was closed today, so I messaged Hassan about another venue, a local game store called Rainy Day Games which only recently opened up their play annex. This was my first time playing there, and I would rate the experience very highly. Granted, it was nearly empty on a Friday night, so they were pretty accommodating, even on a non-40K night, allowing us to commandeer a couple of tables and relatively large space and a bunch of their terrain and such.


Chatting with Hassan, we decided to go ahead and play a larger game than I had originally planned for, at about 1500 points. For me this meant only the addition of three more models, albeit high value ones. For Hassan, it meant he could get closer to his actual tournament list. Considering how the game went, maybe we should have stuck at 50 PL!


I got the first turn, and got off to what looked like a decent start, clearing an objective of his Kommandos with my Allarus Terminators.


However, his first turn was a hammer blow to my conical Custodes helmet, as he called the Waaagh and surged across the board with his Orky jet (Wazbom something perhaps) and Deffkoptas loaded out with Rokkits, and his Morkanaut and tons of other hard-hitting stuff.

I had a couple of good moments, getting to use the Tanglefoot Grenade stratagem to try and foil a charge of his. He re-rolled it and got a 12 anyway. He charged my Witchseeker squad, which was full of flamers, and I got to do a superpowered Overwatch which knocked out a couple of the Deffkoptas.


Otherwise, it was a slaughter.


His Squighog boys annihilated a trio of Custodian Guard, and his Bikers were enough to take care of my Allarus, too. Meanwhile his plane was in my base, his Mek Guns were all still operational, and the Morkanaut had not even been brought down a bracket on it's damage table.


It was getting to be about the time we'd both planned to leave anyway, so we called the game early, even though it was clearly all but over before his second turn. Hassan advised I add some Vertus Praetors to my list, and as much as I am ambivalent about those models, I think he's right that they would help. My preferred additions would be some Sagittarum Guard and Pallas Grav-attacks, but they would also cost twice as much or more in dollar terms, and not being plastic GW models, wouldn't have the rules support (Stratagems, Codex inclusion) the Vertus Praetors do. I picked up a Blade Champion model while there at the shop. I like to buy something every time I play at a place to show support, and I particularly like this place since it's got a wide open, well lit space and also happens to be only about 10-15 minutes drive from my house.

No comments: