Sunday, November 20, 2022

White Scars vs Tyranids 11/18/22

This was a very casual game that happened accidentally. I brought an Outrider detachment of:

Khan on Bike
Apothecary
Scout Squad
Bike Squad
Bike Squad with Attack Bike (Heavy bolter)
Bike Squad with Attack Bike (Multi-melta)
Scout Bike Squad
Land Speeder Tornado
Devastator Squad

My opponent was running Tyranids with:

Hive Tryant
Tervigon
Termagants
Biovores
Scarab-like things
Zoanthropes



Deployment was wacky because we were originally setting up for a 3-player free for all, but then one player pulled out to give someone else an opponent. We just kept rolling with what we had so far, though. 

The mission was randomly generated from the Open War deck, and put a single objective marker in the center of the board that could be moved each round by whoever won a roll off. The Twist was that all psychic powers had one added to their warp charge roll, and ranges extended 6", which was a nice buff to my opponent's Smite capacity, and did nothing at all for me, since I had not brought a Stormseer for this game.


The way the game played out, I used my mobility to stay on the objective the whole time with my Devastators, and I let my bikes roam wide around the table, keeping near to their max range for bolter fire. My thought was to mow down all of his small stuff and then later focus on the big monsters.


This was broadly a pretty good gambit. I had the most trouble dealing with the mortal wound spam from all his psykers, but my Apothecary was able to revive a bike one time, which was nice. The Devastators were mostly wasted by having to shoot a lot of small single-wound bugs on his side, but at least they won the game by holding the objective. 

My opponent might have been able to make more of a play for the objective if they'd wanted to, but mostly seemed content to inch forward at me. I mostly held off the urge to charge into battle, but notably when I did give in to temptation, it cost me my Khan, who only succeeded in killing one of the three Biovores on the other side. He always seems to disappoint. 5 attacks that hit on a 2+, and he rarely lands more than 3. Anyway, he got Smite blasted off the table after his first charge.


Apart from that mistake I think I handled the battle well enough, though. Realizing the White Scars should lean into the theme of the hunter rather than the headlong charging berserker has really helped my game with them.

No comments: