Monday, February 1, 2010

Mass Effect 2 Release Week

And, aside from a little Canabalt and Team Fortress 2 (am I back to this one again for my multiplayer fix?), Mass Effect 2 is all that I have been playing.

I went into it some on Call of Podcast 17, so I won't drone on too much here, not just yet, anyway. Look for a big info and impression dump when I finish the game. Suffice it to say, I am in love with this game. Allowing for the carry-over of your own Shepard and version of the world is the best thing Bioware could have done with this game. It makes everything so much more meaningful and personalized, and the ties to your memories of the first game make events pay off in a much greater way than they otherwise would with a stock character or entirely developer-directed story. The voice acting is, for the most part, extremely well done. Jennifer Hale is again absolutely awesome as Shepard, and some well-known voices can be heard in the most unlikely places in the game. The voice of BSG's Colonel Tigh is just one example.

The way the first 2 acts of the game play out, the rustlin' up of your posse and earning their loyalty, gives me warm tinges of memory of playing Final Fantasy III (and by that I mean VI) almost 15 years ago, particularly the latter half of that game. I'm curious if anyone else out there will mention seeing a parallel.

No comments: